Can I just say.....

I have something to say, and I don't think I can hold it back any longer.  Those of you who know me know that I am not very good at holding things back.  I believe in truth at all times, even if when you say it your voice shakes and your hands tremble.  But, I am pretty good at holding back my political opinions.  Most people who converse with me every day have no idea what my affiliation is in terms of political parties or where I stand on most issues.  The reasons for this are numerous: politics make for ugly conversations, I don't want to be part of the echo chamber, I really hate when people insult the appearance of politicians or their families as I find it immature and distasteful, most people (including myself) are often not informed enough on various issues to say anything worth hearing, and finally I try to maintain a peaceful and drama free lifestyle in which I don't have to ignore or unintentionally be rude to people who don't agree with my view of the world.

UNTIL NOW.....(famous last words)

I'm about to tell you all (the few people who will read this) some things about me and how I see the world, because I think its about that time (#swantek2020, just saying).

1. I don't care who you voted for anymore.  I don't care if you thought the person who was inaugurated today is the best person to lead our country nor do I care if you think the other person who ran for president is a crook.  What I do care about is how you currently view the place of the United States in the world today and how you see our future as a nation.  I would bet that many people couldn't say something about either of these things that has a basis in fact, but will be happy to tell you why they didn't vote for the other candidate.

2. Every American has the right to peacefully protest.  Every American is protected under the Constitution, the most elegant and beautifully written document in the history of human-kind, to oppose the government in a peaceful way.  Every American should know that this right, and all of the others come at a price, and should treat the application of these rights with maturity, intelligence and a sense of good-will toward those they oppose.  (You should maybe read this as: if I see one more Facebook posts about how people are going to wine for the next 4 years, or that protesters should be arrested, I might, in fact, lose my mind.  Please someone tell me what most people did for the last 8 years when they opposed the decisions of the government and why they think what they did should not be afforded to those who oppose the next 4.)  

3. Society is complex, I know because I study it.  Government is complex, I know because I've had to navigate it.  People are complex, I know because I am one.  As a result of these many levels of complexity, anyone who decides to take an oath of office at any level of government or society must have some experience before they take their place as a decision maker.  For better or worse, all jobs should require direct and applicable experience.  I once couldn't get a job at Eastern Mountain Sports, because I didn't have any experience as a climber, hiker or camper.  I argued that I am an archaeologist and live outside in the elements doing hard physical activity for several months out of the year, but alas there was no job for me there. What I learned from being turned down from this job is the following: even if you have experience in something that seems on the surface to be similar, you are not uniquely qualified for a particular job.  Running a business is not the same as running the most powerful country in the world just as acting doesn't make you a politician or watching a show on TV doesn't make you qualified to dig up the ancient remains in your backyard.

4. I study the past.  I track changes in how people relate to each other and differentiate themselves socially and economically.  I see the long-term outcome of bad social, economic and environmental decisions.  I have this terrible feeling today that Caesar is about to march into Roman with the Roman Army behind him, and we are about to find out how those Roman people who were once part of a Republic touting the slogan "Senatus Populus que Romanus" ("The Senate and the Roman People"- those who make up and govern Rome), made the transition to "Hail Caesar."  The Rubicon is crossed and the die is cast, we can only hope that the long-term outcome is not the collapse of our Empire.

5. Science, technology, art and education are the very foundation of human society and its advancement.  The generation currently alive on the Earth today is among the healthiest to ever walk this planet.  We are the most technologically advanced- I can do more on my cell phone right now than on the first laptop computer I bought in 2003.  All of this is possible because scientists, engineers, social scientists, writers, painters, and all others who dare to take their intelligence and talent and make the world a better place.  This group of people are some of the most underrepresented in our government, the most under-respected in our society, and the most underpaid.  Maybe its time we start to think about all of the good in our world, about all the ways someone's hard work, blood, sweat, tears, time away from the people they love, and often sub-par living conditions make our lives better, easier, and longer and appreciate this group of people in ways that count.

6. Whatever the future may hold, we are all in this together.  If I have to write more about this, then you should re-evaluate how you understand life as a human and possibly take an Anthropology class to get educated.

7. This one is really about me.  I came from a middle-class family, that in retrospect was probably lower-middle class.  Both of my parents worked full time jobs.  My mother dropped out of high school and went to beauty school because her father died, and she had to help support her and her mother.  My father was shipped off to fight in a proxy war as a teenager and returned home to what can only be termed a terrible reception by the American people.  Neither of my parents were college-educated.  My parents made the decision to raise their family in a place with a good school district. This meant making other sacrifices: we didn't go on fancy vacations, or vacations at all, we didn't have expensive things, and we were no strangers to calls from bill collectors.  My parents invested their money in the future, in the foundation of education for their children.  They had three daughters who all, at least, have a Master's degree and one who will shortly have a PhD.  By the age of 16 I was working and by 17 it was full-time.  I put myself through college and graduate school.  I worked, I saved what little I could, I wracked up a ton of debt in student loans, and I kept pushing forward.  I'm now a social scientist.  I received national funding and recognition last year for my work despite still being in graduate school.  I have given back to students what I have received and more.  I believe that regardless of your work, your professional, your religion or lifestyle you owe the world something.  I am happy to have been born in the United States because my rights are protected.  I find comfort in the notion that if my rights or those of my fellow Americans are infringed upon, there are peaceful ways that I can let my government know that I disagree with their actions.  I am not a person who will bend to the will of the opposition; I am not a woman who will allow a man to dictate my past, present or future; I am a citizen who will stand up and fight for what is right.  

Comments